Friday, June 27, 2008

Recent Trends: the GOOD and the BAD

Phil and I frequently talk about the "trends" we see in the world, often in our own community here in Columbia. Trends are really funny things, some good, some awful, some sad, and some that hopefully evolve into ways of life. Let's name a few...

1.) Organic Food. - I haven't decided what I think about it. Sure, it's great because of preservatives and pesticides and what not. I have not been a participant of this trend because of money. Organic food costs too much.

2.) Smoking Cigarettes. - BAD trend. At first it was cigars and the hookah, but now I've heard that the trend is to smoke real cigarettes. This is probably the most surprising fact I've heard lately, and the saddest. With all we know about smoking and how bad it is for our health, it's really stupid that so many people have started it lately.

3.) Going Green. - great trend! Sad that it's a "trend", but at least more people know about it and are becoming more exposed to ways we can help our environment. I have tried a little bit with going green, but again... It's more expensive.

4.) Hummus. - so glad I found this trend. Ha! I love hummus. But don't eat it just because it's "in". Eat it because it's freaking good.

5.) Being "All About" Something. I can't name specifics because it would hurt feelings. But when people are all about a coffee shop, or a book club, or a church, or a group, or whatever, it seems stupid and takes away from the passion you should find within that certain thing. For instance. Instead of being obsessed with a church, be wildly passionate about the Jesus you love. Instead of being obsessed with a certain group, be wildly passionate about your life's mission. Instead of being all about a coffee shop or a book club, be wildly passionate about the relationships and experiences you gain from those things.

6.) "Fake" Specialty Diets. - We've all seen them. The people who tackle a silly diet to be weird or different or whatever. Kudos to those of you (Rachy-Rach!) who have real reasons for your diet and who actually stick with it instead of bailing. There are good reasons to go on specialty diets. But there are really stupid reasons too...

7.) Blogging. - I'm so sad this is a trend, and not a lifestyle. I am a dedicated blogger, and have been since middle school (yes, xanga counts!) It makes me sad when people blog for a few months and then stop. I love the blogging community. Reading ideas, thoughts, learning new music, stuff like that.

8.) American Apparel. - Sorry if this offends you. I just don't buy it. People aren't wearing these clothes for the better cause of AA, (it's a sweatshop free company in case you didn't know). The majority of the "fashion world" wears AA just because it's in. In most cases, (magazine ads, even the AA store on the plaza in KC) I have seen an American Apparel shirt with a $400 pair of jeans. Just doesn't make much sense.

9.) Christian Lingo. - I hate it. "pursue", "intentional", "exclusive relationship", "do life with". I know, I know.... I've said these words and phrases many times. But I feel like they have less meaning now. The words come out because they are the "things to say". I guess if they are meant, then they're not so bad. I just think they are overused.

10.) The Avoidance of the Word "Love". - Never was I a part of this trend. I've actually heard the phrase "we don't know how we feel, we can't trust our emotions" come out of someone's mouth. You can't say you love someone because you don't know what love is. You can't say I love you because if you break up, then your heart will ache worse than if you avoided saying it. Right??? Nope, wrong. If you love someone, you better tell them. And you won't question it when you do, you'll know right away that it's love. No matter what others are telling you. If Jesus, the guy we're all following, is all about love, then maybe we should be too.

I hope that these 10 little comments didn't hurt or offend anyone. That wasn't my intent. Just some things to think about. Especially you smokers! Stop that!!!

Adios,

Lace

1 comment: